Best Jacks Strategy
Jacks or Better Strategy Rules
With video poker, and playing Jacks or Better Strategy, only the ranking of the hands is the same as in table poker. Since the game is played on a machine, your only objective is to get the best-paying hand. J or B is the original video poker game. Once you’ve mastered this game, all other variations of video poker will be much easier to understand and to learn.
Jacks or Better Strategy hand rankings and pay-outs:
The winning hands and pay-outs for J or B, from highest to lowest are:
- Royal Flush – A, K, Q, J, and 10 of the same suit. It’s the highest-paying hand in poker and occurs, on average, once every 40,000 hands. Pays 4,000 or more coins when five coins are bet. Pays only 250 coins for each of 1 to 4 coins bet.
- Straight Flush – Five consecutive cards in the same suit, for instance 8, 9, 10, J and Q. Pays 50 per coin bet.
- Four of a Kind – A hand with four cards of the same value, such as four Nines. Pays 25 per coin bet.
- Full House – Three cards of one value, and two cards of another value, like three Fives and two Kings. Pays 9 or 8 per coin bet.
- Flush – Any five cards of the same suit, in no particular order. Pays 6 or 5 per coin bet.
- Straight – Any five consecutive cards, such as J, 10, 9, 8 and 7, but not in the same suit. Pays 4 per coin bet.
- Three of a Kind – Three cards of the same value, three Sevens for instance. Pays 3 per coin bet.
- Two Pair – A hand containing two pairs, such as two Tens and two Aces. Pays 2 per coin bet. Pair of Jacks or Better – A pair of Jacks, Queens, Kings or Aces makes up the lowest paying hand, (hence the name).
Selecting your Jacks or Better hand
When playing J or B strategy, analyze every hand carefully, then select the first option on the list that applies to the hand you were dealt. Don’t rush, take your time, the machine will patiently wait for you to make your decision. Hold all paying hands you’re dealt, except break up a lesser paying hand if you get four cards to a royal flush.
When you’re dealt non-paying hands
Jacks or better strategy dictates you check for the following and hold accordingly:
- Hold any four cards to a straight flush.
- Hold any three cards to a royal flush.
- Hold any four cards to a flush.
- Hold any low pair (tens or lower).
- Hold any four-card consecutive straight.
- Hold any two high cards of the same suit.
- Hold any three cards to a straight flush.
- Hold J, Q, and K of different suites.
- Hold any two high cards of different suites.
- Hold J, Q or K with a Ten of the same suit.
- Hold any single high card.
What if you are dealt none of the above?
Simply draw five new cards. Tip: Print these jacks or better strategies and refer to them while playing online. When you’re ready, try Jacks video poker at Slotland Casino where they offer a 9/6 game you can play for 50 cents, $1, $3, $5 and $10 a hand.
Online Casino Games on our German Online Casinos pages offer German language casino advice.